Monday, March 8, 2010

You know you're married to a perfectionist if...

At dinner my 11 year old announced to all that he ran 5 laps at recess. I considered this a wonderful announcement as we've been trying to encourage him to add more exercise within his daily activities. Also, my son, EJ got up at 6 a.m. this morning and went to the pool with my husband and did some swimming. Anyway, my husband had to ask, "Well how far is a lap?" "How many yards do you think that is? Where are you running at the park?" I'm thinking, "Can't you just acept this as good news and move on? Do we have to spoil the sharing with attempting to understand the logisitcs?" So, EJ got up and drew a picture of the park on the kitchen white board. My husband then gets up and says that he can't understand my son's map. He wanted a different view and explained to my son that his view was hard to understand. My husband proceeds to draw his version of the park map. By now, EJ has given up and retreated from the dinner table and kitchen. My hubby now has our other son at the white board trying to ask a 9 year old how many yards in length the park might be. YIKES! My husband with the help of our son, Zach, draws his map, estimates the measurements, then plots my son's laps which he then insists are not laps and a lap must go in a circular motion and this was just running from point A to point B and back...not a lap. My husband works with Zach and they estimate the distance and determine that EJ ran approximately 1/4 mile during recess. My husband then tells EJ that he would need to run 20 "laps" total to run 1 mile. Do you think EJ will ever report again about running at recess? Another adventure in the life of the Midlife Mocha Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment